Saturday 14 January 2012

Why I Want To Be a Teacher

I always wanted to be a teacher ever since I was little. I liked helping children that are younger than me and as I grew up I worked and volunteered at many places in my community with kids. I volunteered at my church`s Vocation Bible School, play school, and Sunday school. I also was a Jr. Leader for the Spark`s and Brownie`s in Girl Guides and the Brownie`s Leader for one year. I also worked at the Recreation Department and the Boys and Girls Club in my home town in Rocky Mountain House. I enjoy all these jobs that I participated in and that encouraged me to be an elementary teacher. To help children succeed and improve is what I believe I was met to do and I feel very passionate about that. I want to be special needs teacher and I think that stems from my older brother being autistic and seeing the struggles my brother and my parents had to deal with in order to fight for his education. I want to make a difference in someone else`s life and education that they may not have otherwise.
I am very passionate and determined to be a teacher. I think I will be committed, and do the 7 professional skills and try to grow professionally. It kind of makes me mad when I hear people go into teaching because they get the summers off. I had teachers that were not passionate and you could tell the ones that just were there to get a pay check and the ones that were dedicated. I think some people that do not know what they want to do for a career decide to go into teaching because it is familiar to them, as they were a student and they know what a teacher does. I think this is the wrong reasons to become a teacher unless they become committed and grow professionally and try to do the 7 professional skills. I think teaching is a great career because it is not shift work, you get all the holidays off, and you get 2 months off in the summer, but I do not think these should be the main reasons to go into teaching. I think teachers should be passionate about what they are teaching and want the students to learn and succeed, as they “won’t buy what you do but they will buy why you do it”-Simon Sinek.
This is a picture of one of the Spark's units I helped at. I was a Jr. Leader for 2 years with the Spark's unit. I helped planned the meeting and helped the leader with anything she needed. I enjoyed it and I enjoyed getting to know the girls.
 








These 2 pictures are of my Brownie Unit. I had 15 energetic young girls ages 8-9 year old. I planned at the meetings, got all the materials that were needed, wrote newsletter for the parent and anything else that needed to be done. It was a lot of work, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment